Main Article Content
The main objective of this research is to study the achievement of their mathematical self-esteem, as a result of Project-based Learning (PBL) and Conventional Learning (CL). This research is conducted mathematical self-esteem to be possessed by students, but in reality shows their self-esteem are still low. This research used quasi experimental methods. The population of this study is students of State Junior High Schools in Bandung City, West Java Province. The sample comprises the students of grade VIII. One class as an experimental group that received PBL learning and another class as a control group that received CL learning. The instruments used in this study are Prior Mathematical Knowledge (PMK) worksheet and mathematical self-esteem scale. The results indicate that: (1) the achievement of mathematical self-esteem ofÂ the students who received PBL learning is better than the students who received CL learning; (2) there is no interaction effect between learning model and PMK on the achievement of students' mathematical self-esteem.
Conventional Learning Mathematical Self-esteem Prior Mathematical Knowledge Project-based Learning
- Aubuchon, J. C., & Hettmansperger, T. P. (1984). 12 On the use of rank tests and estimates in the linear model. In Handbook of Statistics (Vol. 4, pp. 259-274). Elsevier. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-7161(84)04014-1
- Baumeister, R. F. (2013). Self-esteem: The puzzle of low self-regard. Springer Science & Business Media.
- Casino-GarcÃa, A. M., Llopis-Bueno, M. J., & Llinares-Insa, L. I. (2021). Emotional intelligence profiles and self-esteem/self-concept: An analysis of relationships in gifted students. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 18(3), 1006. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph18031006
- Conover, W. J., & Iman, R. L. (1981). Rank transformations as a bridge between parametric and nonparametric statistics. The American Statistician, 35(3), 124-129. https://doi.org/10.1080/00031305.1981.10479327
- Dias, M., & Brantley-Dias, L. (2017). Setting the standard for project based learning: a proven approach to rigorous classroom instruction. Interdisciplinary Journal of Problem-Based Learning, 11(2). https://doi.org/10.7771/1541-5015.1721
- Fadillah, S. (2012). Meningkatkan self esteem siswa SMP dalam matematika melalui pembelajaran dengan pendekatan open ended [Improving mathematical self esteem of junior high school students through open ended approach]. Jurnal Pendidikan MIPA, 13(1), 34-41. https://doi.org/10.23960/jpmipa/v13i1.pp34-41
- Fatah, A., Suryadi, D., & Sabandar, J. (2016). Open-ended approach: An effort in cultivating students' mathematical creative thinking ability and self-esteem in mathematics. Journal on Mathematics Education, 7(1), 11-20. https://doi.org/10.22342/jme.7.1.2813.9-18
- Fauzan, F., & Herman, T. (2011). Peningkatan kemampuan penalaran matematis dan self esteem siswa kelas V melalui strategi multiple intelligences [Self esteem of class v students through multiple intelligences strategy]. EduHumaniora| Jurnal Pendidikan Dasar Kampus Cibiru, 8(2), 152-162. https://doi.org/10.17509/eh.v8i2.5138
- Fisher, D., & Kusumah, Y. (2018). Mathematical self-esteem of junior high school student based on gender. In International Conference on Mathematics and Science Education of Universitas Pendidikan Indonesia.
- Fisher, D., Kusumah, Y. S., & Dahlan, J. A. (2020). Project-based learning in mathematics: A literatur review. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 1657(1), 012032. https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/1657/1/012032
- Fisher, D., Kusumah, Y. S., & Dahlan, J. A. (2021). The achievement of middle school studentsâ€™ mathematical problem solving abilities through project-based learning models. Al-Jabar: Jurnal Pendidikan Matematika, 12(1), 185-192. https://doi.org/10.24042/ajpm.v12i1.8858
- Fitriah, A., & Aripin, U. (2019). Analisis kemampuan koneksi matematis dan self esteem siswa sma di kabupaten bandung barat [Analysis of mathematical connection abilities and self-esteem of high school students in West Bandung]. JPMI (Jurnal Pembelajaran Matematika Inovatif), 2(4), 197-208.
- HernÃ¡ndez-Ramos, P., & De La Paz, S. (2009). Learning history in middle school by designing multimedia in a project-based learning experience. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 42(2), 151-173. https://doi.org/10.1080/15391523.2009.10782545
- Higgins, J. J., Blair, R. C., & Tashtoush, S. (1990). The aligned rank transform procedure. In Conference on Applied Statistics in Agriculture. https://doi.org/10.4148/2475-7772.1443
- Kalayci, N. (2008). An application related to project based learning in higher education analysis in terms of students directing the project. Egitim Ve Bilim, 33(147), 85.
- Kamdi, W. (2015, 2015/02). Community-based learning in vocational education and training: making schools closer to the real world. In Proceedings of the 3rd UPI International Conference on Technical and Vocational Education and Training. https://doi.org/10.2991/ictvet-14.2015.48
- Klein, J., Taveras, S., Hope., King, S. H., Commintante, C. B. L., & Stripling, B. (2009). Project-Based Learning: Inspiring Middle School Students to Engage in Deep and Active Learning. Division of Teaching and Learning Office of Curriculum, Standards, and Academic Engagement. NYC Department of Education.
- La Nani, K., Bakar, M. T., & Saidi, S. (2020). Peningkatan kemampuan penalaran statistis mahasiswa melalui pembelajaran berbasis proyek berbantuan ICT [Improving students' statistical reasoning ability through assisted project-based learning ICT]. EDUKASI, 18(2). https://doi.org/10.33387/j.edu.v18i2.2119
- Lawrence, D. (2006). Enhancing self-esteem in the classroom. Pine Forge Press.
- Leys, C., & Schumann, S. (2010). A nonparametric method to analyze interactions: The adjusted rank transform test. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 46(4), 684-688. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jesp.2010.02.007
- Nasution, M. D., Ahmad, A., & Mohamed, Z. (2021). Pre service teachersâ€™ perception on the implementation of project based learning in mathematic class. Infinity Journal, 10(1), 109-120. https://doi.org/10.22460/infinity.v10i1.p109-120
- Nielsen, J. D., Du, X. Y., & Kolmos, A. (2010). Innovative application of a new PBL model to interdisciplinary and intercultural projects. The International Journal of Electrical Engineering & Education, 47(2), 174-188. https://doi.org/10.7227/ijeee.47.2.7
- Pamungkas, A. S., Setiani, Y., & Pujiastuti, H. (2017). Peranan pengetahuan awal dan self esteem matematis terhadap kemampuan berpikir logis mahasiswa. Kreano, Jurnal Matematika Kreatif-Inovatif, 8(1), 61-68.
- Rosenberg, M. (2015). Society and the adolescent self-image. Princeton university press.
- Sawilowsky, S. S. (1990). Nonparametric tests of interaction in experimental design. Review of Educational Research, 60(1), 91-126. https://doi.org/10.3102/00346543060001091
- Struyven, K., Dochy, F., & Janssens, S. (2010). â€˜Teach as you preachâ€™: the effects of studentâ€centred versus lectureâ€based teaching on student teachersâ€™ approaches to teaching. European Journal of Teacher Education, 33(1), 43-64. https://doi.org/10.1080/02619760903457818
- Young, E. L., & Hoffmann, L. L. (2004). Self-esteem in children: strategies for parents and educators. National Association of School Psychologists. Retrieved from: https://vres-valhallaschools.enschool.org/ourpages/auto/2009/2/5/57593823/selfesteem_young.pdf