Main Article Content
Applying critical thinking is an essential skill in the 21st century. However, teaching materials that do not facilitate students to improve these skills impact the achievement of learning objectives. Therefore, educators need appropriate teaching materials that encourage students to enhance their thinking skills. This study aims to develop teaching materials based on Realistic Mathematics Education (RME) to improve students’ critical thinking skills. The development model used is ADDIE consisting of Analysis, Design, Development, Implementation, and Evaluation phases. The instruments used, consist of validated student worksheets based on material experts and media experts, pretest questions, posttest questions, and the practicality of student worksheets. The results showed that the student worksheets developed were feasible regarding validity, practicality, and effectiveness. The validity of the student worksheets is indicated by the average score of two material expert validators and two media expert validators, each of which is in the good and excellent categories. The practicality of the student worksheets is denoted by the average value of student assessments included in the practical category. Then its effectiveness is shown by increasing students’ critical thinking skills after being given intervention using the student worksheets.
Critical Thinking Skills Realistic Mathematics Education Research and Development Student Worksheets
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
- Basuki, W. A., & Wijaya, A. (2019). Students worksheet based on realistic mathematics education: How the effect toward reasoning ability? Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 1157(2), 022130. https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/1157/2/022130
- Berestova, A., Kolosov, S., Tsvetkova, M., & Grib, E. (2022). Academic motivation as a predictor of the development of critical thinking in students. Journal of Applied Research in Higher Education, 14(3), 1041-1054. https://doi.org/10.1108/JARHE-02-2021-0081
- Branch, R. M. (2009). Instructional design: The ADDIE approach (Vol. 722). New York: Springer. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-0-387-09506-6
- Davis, A. L. (2013). Using instructional design principles to develop effective information literacy instruction: The ADDIE model. College & Research Libraries News, 74(4), 205-207. https://doi.org/10.5860/crln.74.4.8934
- de Jong, L., Meirink, J., & Admiraal, W. (2019). School-based teacher collaboration: Different learning opportunities across various contexts. Teaching and Teacher Education, 86, 102925. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tate.2019.102925
- Dewi, A. K., Slamet, S. Y., Atmojo, I. R. W., & Syawaludin, A. (2023). The influence of interactive digital worksheets based on level of inquiry towards science process skills in elementary school. Pegem Journal of Education and Instruction, 13(1), 251-258. https://doi.org/10.47750/pegegog.13.01.27
- Ennis, R. (2011). Critical thinking: Reflection and perspective Part II. Inquiry: Critical thinking across the Disciplines, 26(2), 5-19. https://doi.org/10.5840/inquiryctnews201126215
- Erita, S., Utami, E. S. D., & Ningsih, F. (2022). Realistic mathematic education-based student worksheet to improve students' mathematical reasoning on circle material. Indonesian Journal of Science and Mathematics Education, 5(2), 210-223. https://doi.org/10.24042/ijsme.v5i2.11249
- Hafni, R. N., Sari, D. M., & Nurlaelah, E. (2019). Analyzing the effect of studentsâ€™ habits of mind to mathematical critical thinking skill. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 1211(1), 012074. https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/1211/1/012074
- Hasibuan, A. M., Saragih, S., & Amry, Z. (2019). Development of learning materials based on realistic mathematics education to improve problem solving ability and student learning independence. International Electronic Journal of Mathematics Education, 14(1), 243-252. https://doi.org/10.29333/iejme/4000
- Hsu, F.-H., Lin, I. H., Yeh, H.-C., & Chen, N.-S. (2022). Effect of socratic reflection prompts via video-based learning system on elementary school studentsâ€™ critical thinking skills. Computers & Education, 183, 104497. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2022.104497
- Hujjatusnaini, N., Corebima, A., Prawiro, S., & Gofur, A. (2022). The effect of blended project-based learning integrated with 21st-century skills on pre-service biology teachers' higher-order thinking skills. Jurnal Pendidikan IPA Indonesia, 11(1), 104-118. https://doi.org/10.15294/jpii.v11i1.27148
- Khalid, M., Saad, S., Hamid, S. R. A., Abdullah, M. R., Ibrahim, H., & Shahrill, M. (2020). Enhancing creativity and problem solving skills through creative problem solving in teaching mathematics. Creativity Studies, 13(2), 270-291. https://doi.org/10.3846/cs.2020.11027
- Koyunlu ÃœnlÃ¼, Z., & DÃ¶kme, Ä°. (2022). A systematic review of 5E model in science education: proposing a skill-based STEM instructional model within the 21-st century skills. International Journal of Science Education, 44(13), 2110-2130. https://doi.org/10.1080/09500693.2022.2114031
- Lugosi, E., & Uribe, G. (2022). Active learning strategies with positive effects on studentsâ€™ achievements in undergraduate mathematics education. International Journal of Mathematical Education in Science and Technology, 53(2), 403-424. https://doi.org/10.1080/0020739X.2020.1773555
- Mahanal, S., Zubaidah, S., Sumiati, I. D., Sari, T. M., & Ismirawati, N. (2019). RICOSRE: A learning model to develop critical thinking skills for students with different academic abilities. International Journal of Instruction, 12(2), 417-434. https://doi.org/10.29333/iji.2019.12227a
- Marzuki, M., Wahyudin, W., Cahya, E., & Juandi, D. (2021). Students' critical thinking skills in solving mathematical problems; A systematic procedure of grounded theory study. International Journal of Instruction, 14(4), 529-548. https://doi.org/10.29333/iji.2021.14431a
- Mulbar, U., & Zaki, A. (2018). Design of realistic mathematics education on elementary school students. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 1028(1), 012155. https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/1028/1/012155
- Nurfadhillah, N., Johar, R., & Ahmad, A. (2018). The quality of learning materials through mathematics reaslitic to improve studentsâ€™ mathematical communication ability in the elementary school. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 1088(1), 012077. https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/1088/1/012077
- OECD. (2019). PISA 2018 Results (Volume I): What students know and can do. Paris: OECD Publishing.
- Peterson, C. (2003). Bringing ADDIE to life: Instructional design at its best. Journal of Educational Multimedia and Hypermedia, 12(3), 227-241.
- Plummer, K. J., Kebritchi, M., Leary, H. M., & Halverson, D. M. (2022). Enhancing critical thinking skills through decision-based learning. Innovative Higher Education, 47(4), 711-734. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10755-022-09595-9
- Prahmana, R. C. I., Sagita, L., Hidayat, W., & Utami, N. W. (2020). Two decades of realistic mathematics education research in Indonesia: A survey. Infinity Journal, 9(2), 223-246. https://doi.org/10.22460/infinity.v9i2.p223-246
- RamÃrez-Montoya, M. S., Castillo-MartÃnez, I. M., Sanabria-Z, J., & Miranda, J. (2022). Complex thinking in the framework of education 4.0 and open innovation-A systematic literature review. Journal of Open Innovation: Technology, Market, and Complexity, 8(1), 4. https://doi.org/10.3390/joitmc8010004
- Risdiyanti, I., & Prahmana, R. C. I. (2021). Designing learning trajectory of set through the Indonesian shadow puppets and Mahabharata stories. Infinity Journal, 10(2), 331-348. https://doi.org/10.22460/infinity.v10i2.p331-348
- Samura, A. O., Darhim, D., Juandi, D., Said, A. M., Nani, K. L., & Tamur, M. (2022). Improving the critical thinking ability of junior high school students through realistic mathematics education innovation. AIP Conference Proceedings, 2577(1), 020057. https://doi.org/10.1063/5.0096077
- Sari, E. M., & Putri, R. I. I. (2021). Project-based worksheets using a lesson study system. Infinity Journal, 10(1), 41-52. https://doi.org/10.22460/infinity.v10i1.p41-52
- Sasson, I., Yehuda, I., Miedijensky, S., & Malkinson, N. (2022). Designing new learning environments: An innovative pedagogical perspective. The Curriculum Journal, 33(1), 61-81. https://doi.org/10.1002/curj.125
- Shavelson, R. J., Zlatkin-Troitschanskaia, O., Beck, K., Schmidt, S., & Marino, J. P. (2019). Assessment of university studentsâ€™ critical thinking: Next generation performance assessment. International Journal of Testing, 19(4), 337-362. https://doi.org/10.1080/15305058.2018.1543309
- Spatioti, A. G., Kazanidis, I., & Pange, J. (2022). A comparative study of the ADDIE instructional design model in distance education. Information, 13(9), 402. https://doi.org/10.3390/info13090402
- Sulaiman, W. S. W., Rahman, W. R. A., & Dzulkifli, M. A. (2008). Relationship between critical thinking dispositions, perceptions towards teacher, learning approaches and critical thinking skills among university students. The Journal of Behavioral Science, 3(1), 122-133.
- Susandi, A. D., & Widyawati, S. (2022). Implementation of realistic mathematic education (RME) learning model in improving critical thinking skills. Al-Jabar: Jurnal Pendidikan Matematika, 13(2), 251-260.
- van den Heuvel-Panhuizen, M., & Drijvers, P. (2020). Realistic Mathematics Education. In S. Lerman (Ed.), Encyclopedia of mathematics education (pp. 713-717). Springer International Publishing. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-15789-0_170
- Wang, D., Liu, H., & Hau, K.-T. (2022). Automated and interactive game-based assessment of critical thinking. Education and Information Technologies, 27(4), 4553-4575. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10639-021-10777-9
- Weng, X., Cui, Z., Ng, O.-L., Jong, M. S. Y., & Chiu, T. K. F. (2022). Characterizing studentsâ€™ 4C skills development during problem-based digital making. Journal of Science Education and Technology, 31(3), 372-385. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10956-022-09961-4
- Wewe, M., & Juliawan, I. W. (2019). Developing mathematical devices with characteristics realistic mathematics education. Al-Jabar: Jurnal Pendidikan Matematika, 10(1), 1-10. https://doi.org/10.24042/ajpm.v10i1.3884
- Yildirim, B., Ã–zkahraman, S., & Karabudak, S. S. (2011). The critical thinking teaching methods in nursing students. International Journal of Business and Social Science, 2(24).
- Yuliati, L., Fauziah, R., & Hidayat, A. (2018). Studentâ€™s critical thinking skills in authentic problem based learning. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 1013(1), 012025. https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/1013/1/012025
- Yumiati, Y., & Kusumah, Y. S. (2019). Interaction between Students' Learning and Early Mathematical Skills to Increase Mathematical Critical Thinking Skills. Al-Jabar: Jurnal Pendidikan Matematika, 10(1), 125-134. https://doi.org/10.24042/ajpm.v10i1.3712
- Zetriuslita, Z., Wahyudin, W., & Dahlan, J. A. (2018). Association among mathematical critical thinking skill, communication, and curiosity attitude as the impact of problem-based learning and cognitive conflict strategy (PBLCCS) in number theory course. Infinity Journal, 7(1), 15-24. https://doi.org/10.22460/infinity.v7i1.p15-24
- Zulkardi, Z. (2002). Developing a learning environment on realistic mathematics education for Indonesian student teachers. Doctoral dissertation. Enschede: University of Twente. Retrieved from https://repository.unsri.ac.id/871