Main Article Content
This study aims to determine the factors influencing the students' mathematics performance in higher education in Riau Province. The research population was all students in higher education in Riau Province majoring in mathematics. The samples of this research were some students in higher education majoring in mathematics education which were taken randomly with a proportional random sampling approach. The instrument in this research was a questionnaire developed and validated by experts and distributed to mathematics education students. The data analysis used in this research was path analysis. The results showed that there was an effect of learning motivation on mathematics performance, there was no effect of learning interest on mathematics performance, with a T Value of 1.28, (12) there was no effect of self-efficacy on mathematics performance, with T Values of 1.38, there was an effect of self-regulated on mathematics performance, with T Values of 2.23, and (15) there was no effect of learning involvement on mathematics performance, with T Value of 1.39 The dominant and significant factor in influencing the students' mathematics performance in higher education in Riau province during the COVID-19 Pandemic was learning motivation and self-regulation.
COVID-19 Pandemic Higher Education Mathematics Performance
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
- Acharya, B. R. (2017). Factors affecting difficulties in learning mathematics by mathematics learners. International Journal of Elementary Education, 6(2), 8-15. https://doi.org/10.11648/j.ijeedu.20170602.11
- Akbay, T., & Akbay, L. (2016). On the causal relationships between academic achievement and its leading factors: a SEM Study. Journal of European Education, 6(2), 38-51.
- Alafgani, M., & Purwandari, E. (2019). Self-efficacy, academic motivation, self-regulated learning and academic achievement. Jurnal Psikologi Pendidikan dan Konseling: Jurnal Kajian Psikologi Pendidikan dan Bimbingan Konseling, 5(2), 104-111. https://doi.org/10.26858/jppk.v5i2.10930
- Alzahrani, M. (2022). Traditional learning compared to online learning during the COVID-19 pandemic: Lessons learned from facultyâ€™s perspectives. SAGE Open, 12(2), 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1177/21582440221091720
- Awofala, A. O. (2017). Assessing senior secondary school studentsâ€™ mathematical proficiency as related to gender and performance in mathematics in Nigeria. International Journal of Research in Education and Science (IJRES), 3(2), 488-502.
- Azmidar, A., Darhim, D., & Dahlan, J. A. (2017). Enhancing studentsâ€™ interest through mathematics learning. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 895, 012072. https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/895/1/012072
- Bartimote-Aufflick, K., Bridgeman, A., Walker, R., Sharma, M., & Smith, L. (2016). The study, evaluation, and improvement of university student self-efficacy. Studies in Higher Education, 41(11), 1918-1942. https://doi.org/10.1080/03075079.2014.999319
- Bernacki, M. L., & Walkington, C. (2018). The role of situational interest in personalized learning. Journal of Educational Psychology, 110(6), 864-881. https://doi.org/10.1037/edu0000250
- Bradley, R. L., Browne, B. L., & Kelley, H. M. (2017). Examining the influence of self-efficacy and self-regulation in online learning. College Student Journal, 51(4), 518-530.
- Bye, D., Pushkar, D., & Conway, M. (2007). Motivation, interest, and positive affect in traditional and nontraditional undergraduate students. Adult education quarterly, 57(2), 141-158. https://doi.org/10.1177/0741713606294235
- Byrne, D., & Baron, R. (1977). Social psychology: Understanding human interaction. Boston; Toronto: Allyn and Bacon.
- Carter Jr, R. A., Rice, M., Yang, S., & Jackson, H. A. (2020). Self-regulated learning in online learning environments: strategies for remote learning. Information and Learning Sciences, 121(5/6), 321-329. https://doi.org/10.1108/ILS-04-2020-0114
- Chukwuyenum, A. N. (2013). Impact of critical thinking on performance in mathematics among senior secondary school students in Lagos State. IOSR Journal of Research & Method in education, 3(5), 18-25. https://doi.org/10.9790/7388-0351825
- Cobb, R. J. (2003). The relationship between self-regulated learning behaviors and academic performance in web-based courses. Doctoral dissertation. Virginia Tech. Retrieved from https://vtechworks.lib.vt.edu/handle/10919/26469
- Darras, K. E., Spouge, R. J., de Bruin, A. B. H., Sedlic, A., Hague, C., & Forster, B. B. (2021). Undergraduate radiology education during the COVID-19 pandemic: A review of teaching and learning strategies. Canadian Association of Radiologists Journal, 72(2), 194-200. https://doi.org/10.1177/0846537120944821
- Diaz, E., Mamelund, S.-E., Eid, J., Aasen, H. S., Martin KaarbÃ¸e, O., Brokstad, R. J. C., Gloppen, S., Beyer, A., & Kumar, B. N. (2021). Learning from the COVID-19 pandemic among migrants: An innovative, system-level, interdisciplinary approach is needed to improve public health. Scandinavian Journal of Public Health, 49(7), 804-808. https://doi.org/10.1177/14034948211019795
- Dimyati, D., & Mudjiono, M. (2013). Belajar dan Pembelajaran. Jakarta: Rineka Cipta.
- FaÃlde-Garrido, J. M., Ruiz Soriano, L., & SimÃ³n, M. A. (2022). Levels of physical activity and their relationship with motivational determinants, self-regulation, and other health-related parameters in university students. Psychological Reports, 125(4), 1874-1895. https://doi.org/10.1177/00332941211005116
- Fryer, L. K., Nakao, K., & Thompson, A. (2019). Chatbot learning partners: Connecting learning experiences, interest and competence. Computers in human Behavior, 93, 279-289. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2018.12.023
- GÃ³mez-GarcÃa, M., Hossein-Mohand, H., Trujillo-Torres, J. M., Hossein-Mohand, H., & Aznar-DÃaz, I. (2020). Technological factors that influence the mathematics performance of secondary school students. Mathematics, 8(11), 1935. https://doi.org/10.3390/math8111935
- Hatlevik, O. E., Throndsen, I., Loi, M., & Gudmundsdottir, G. B. (2018). Studentsâ€™ ICT self-efficacy and computer and information literacy: Determinants and relationships. Computers & Education, 118, 107-119. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2017.11.011
- Imms, W., & Byers, T. (2017). Impact of classroom design on teacher pedagogy and student engagement and performance in mathematics. Learning Environments Research, 20(1), 139-152. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10984-016-9210-0
- JoÃ«t, G., Usher, E. L., & Bressoux, P. (2011). Sources of self-efficacy: An investigation of elementary school students in France. Journal of Educational Psychology, 103(3), 649. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0024048
- KÃ¶petz, C. E., Lejuez, C. W., Wiers, R. W., & Kruglanski, A. W. (2013). Motivation and self-regulation in addiction: A call for convergence. Perspectives on Psychological Science, 8(1), 3-24. https://doi.org/10.1177/1745691612457575
- KÃ¶seoglu, Y. (2015). Self-efficacy and academic achievement - A case from Turkey. Journal of Education and Practice, 6(29), 131-141.
- Lavasani, M. G., Mirhosseini, F. S., Hejazi, E., & Davoodi, M. (2011). The effect of self-regulation learning strategies training on the academic motivation and self-efficacy. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 29, 627-632. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2011.11.285
- Li, Y., & Schoenfeld, A. H. (2019). Problematizing teaching and learning mathematics as â€œgivenâ€ in STEM education. International journal of STEM education, 6(1), 44. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40594-019-0197-9
- Lin, M.-H., & Chen, H.-g. (2017). A study of the effects of digital learning on learning motivation and learning outcome. Eurasia Journal of Mathematics, Science and Technology Education, 13(7), 3553-3564. https://doi.org/10.12973/eurasia.2017.00744a
- Mahmoodi, M. H., Kalantari, B., & Ghaslani, R. (2014). Self-regulated learning (SRL), motivation and language achievement of Iranian EFL learners. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 98, 1062-1068. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2014.03.517
- Maliki, A. E., Ngban, A. N., & Ibu, J. E. (2009). Analysis of studentsâ€™ performance in junior secondary school mathematics examination in Bayelsa State of Nigeria. Studies on Home and Community Science, 3(2), 131-134. https://doi.org/10.1080/09737189.2009.11885288
- Maolida, E. H., & Savitri, L. (2016, 2016/11). Encouraging students' involvement in drama performance (A case study in an English course in Bandung). In. https://doi.org/10.2991/conaplin-16.2017.23
- Mazana, Y. M., Montero, C. S., & Casmir, R. O. (2019). Investigating students' attitude towards learning mathematics. International Electronic Journal of Mathematics Education, 14(1), 207-231. https://doi.org/10.29333/iejme/3997
- Mesghina, A., Wong, J. T., Davis, E. L., Lerner, B. S., Jackson-Green, B. J., & Richland, L. E. (2021). Distressed to distracted: Examining undergraduate learning and stress regulation during the COVID-19 pandemic. AERA Open, 7(1), 1-20. https://doi.org/10.1177/23328584211065721
- Nofriyandi, N. (2016). Peningkatan kemampuan pemahaman dan pemecahan masalah matematis serta kemandirian belajar siswa SMP melalui pendekatan kontekstual dengan teknik tari bambu. Universitas Islam Riau.
- Oâ€™Shea, D., Buckley, F., & Halbesleben, J. (2017). Self-regulation in entrepreneurs:Integrating action, cognition, motivation, and emotions. Organizational Psychology Review, 7(3), 250-278. https://doi.org/10.1177/2041386617705434
- Orehek, E., Vazeou-Nieuwenhuis, A., Quick, E., & Weaverling, G. C. (2017). Attachment and self-regulation. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 43(3), 365-380. https://doi.org/10.1177/0146167216685292
- Panadero, E. (2017). A review of self-regulated learning: Six models and four directions for research. Frontiers in psychology, 8, 422. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2017.00422
- Panadero, E., Jonsson, A., & Botella, J. (2017). Effects of self-assessment on self-regulated learning and self-efficacy: Four meta-analyses. Educational Research Review, 22, 74-98. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.edurev.2017.08.004
- Panaoura, R. (2021). Parental involvement in children's mathematics learning before and during the period of the COVID-19. Social Education Research, 2(1), 65-74. https://doi.org/10.37256/ser.212021547
- Pedro, L. F. M. G., Barbosa, C. M. M. d. O., & Santos, C. M. d. N. (2018). A critical review of mobile learning integration in formal educational contexts. International Journal of Educational Technology in Higher Education, 15(1), 10. https://doi.org/10.1186/s41239-018-0091-4
- Renninger, K. A., & Hidi, S. E. (2019). Interest development and learning. In K. A. Renninger & S. E. Hidi (Eds.), The Cambridge Handbook of Motivation and Learning (pp. 265-290). Cambridge University Press. https://doi.org/10.1017/9781316823279.013
- Risnawati, R., Andrian, D., Azmi, M. P., Amir, Z., & Nurdin, E. (2019). Development of a definition maps-based plane geometry module to improve the student teachersâ€™ mathematical reasoning ability. International Journal of Instruction, 12(3), 541-560. https://doi.org/10.29333/iji.2019.12333a
- Santrock, J. W. (2003). Adolescence: Perkembangan Remaja (Edisi 6). Erlangga.
- Sardiman, A. M. (2014). Interaksi dan Motivasi Belajar Mengajar. Rajawali Pers.
- Schunk, D. H., & DiBenedetto, M. K. (2020). Motivation and social cognitive theory. Contemporary Educational Psychology, 60, 101832. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cedpsych.2019.101832
- Schunk, D. H., & Zimmerman, B. J. (1998). Self-regulated learning: From teaching to self-reflective practice. Guilford Press.
- Shute, V. J., Hansen, E. G., Underwood, J. S., & Razzouk, R. (2011). A review of the relationship between parental involvement and secondary school students' academic achievement. Education Research International, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1155/2011/915326
- Singh, J., Steele, K., & Singh, L. (2021). Combining the best of online and face-to-face learning: Hybrid and blended learning approach for COVID-19, post vaccine, & post-pandemic world. Journal of Educational Technology Systems, 50(2), 140-171. https://doi.org/10.1177/00472395211047865
- Slameto, S. (2015). Belajar dan Faktor-faktor yang Mempengaruhi. Rineka Cipta.
- Staley, K., Abbey-Vital, I., & Nolan, C. (2017). The impact of involvement on researchers: a learning experience. Research Involvement and Engagement, 3(1), 20. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40900-017-0071-1
- Susanto, H. (2012). Faktor-faktor yang mempengaruhi kinerja guru sekolah menengah kejuruan [Factors affecting the performance of vocational high school teachers]. Jurnal Pendidikan Vokasi, 2(2), 197-212. https://doi.org/10.21831/jpv.v2i2.1028
- Takeuchi, M. A. (2018). Power and identity in immigrant parentsâ€™ involvement in early years mathematics learning. Educational Studies in Mathematics, 97(1), 39-53. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10649-017-9781-4
- Tokan, M. K., & Imakulata, M. M. (2019). The effect of motivation and learning behaviour on student achievement. South African Journal of Education, 39(1), 1-8. https://doi.org/10.15700/saje.v39n1a1510
- Tsai, Y.-h., Lin, C.-h., Hong, J.-c., & Tai, K.-h. (2018). The effects of metacognition on online learning interest and continuance to learn with MOOCs. Computers & Education, 121, 18-29. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2018.02.011
- Turner, J. C., Meyer, D. K., Cox, K. E., Logan, C., DiCintio, M., & Thomas, C. T. (1998). Creating contexts for involvement in mathematics. Journal of Educational Psychology, 90(4), 730-745. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-06184.108.40.2060
- Uno, H. B. (2021). Teori motivasi dan pengukurannya: Analisis di bidang pendidikan. Bumi Aksara.
- Uzun, A. M., & Kilis, S. (2019). Does persistent involvement in media and technology lead to lower academic performance? Evaluating media and technology use in relation to multitasking, self-regulation and academic performance. Computers in human Behavior, 90, 196-203. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2018.08.045
- van Dinther, M., Dochy, F., & Segers, M. (2011). Factors affecting studentsâ€™ self-efficacy in higher education. Educational Research Review, 6(2), 95-108. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.edurev.2010.10.003
- Velayutham, S., Aldridge, J., & Fraser, B. (2011). Development and validation of an instrument to measure studentsâ€™ motivation and selfâ€regulation in science learning. International Journal of Science Education, 33(15), 2159-2179. https://doi.org/10.1080/09500693.2010.541529
- Vitasari, P., Wahab, M. N. A., Othman, A., Herawan, T., & Sinnadurai, S. K. (2010). The relationship between study anxiety and academic performance among engineering students. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 8, 490-497. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2010.12.067
- Wilby, J. (2022). Motivation, self-regulation, and writing achievement on a university foundation programme: A programme evaluation study. Language Teaching Research, 26(5), 1010-1033. https://doi.org/10.1177/1362168820917323
- Wong, J., Baars, M., Davis, D., Van Der Zee, T., Houben, G.-J., & Paas, F. (2019). Supporting self-regulated learning in online learning environments and MOOCs: A systematic review. International Journal of Humanâ€“Computer Interaction, 35(4-5), 356-373. https://doi.org/10.1080/10447318.2018.1543084
- Yawman, M., Appiah-Kubi, J., Gavino, R., & Solis, J. (2019). Teachersâ€™ perception of parents' involvement and students' performance in English in rural schools in Nakhonratchasima, Thailand. International Journal of Scientific Research and Management, 7(3), 940-952. https://doi.org/10.18535/ijsrm/v7i3.el04
- Yerdelen, S., & Sungur, S. (2019). Multilevel investigation of studentsâ€™ self-regulation processes in learning science: Classroom learning environment and teacher effectiveness. International Journal of Science and Mathematics Education, 17(1), 89-110. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10763-018-9921-z
- YeÅŸilyurt, E., UlaÅŸ, A. H., & Akan, D. (2016). Teacher self-efficacy, academic self-efficacy, and computer self-efficacy as predictors of attitude toward applying computer-supported education. Computers in human Behavior, 64, 591-601. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2016.07.038
- Zuberâ€Skerritt, O. (2002). The concept of action learning. The Learning Organization, 9(3), 114-124. https://doi.org/10.1108/09696470210428831